Please leave me your feedback, I will try to just give you the facts:
* Logan has been on a waiting list for a year to get into the community center preschool.
* He finally got in this year. I didn't have any information on the preschool, but it's very close and I assumed it was good since there was a long waiting list. He attended summer camp there and I was comfortable with the classroom, although the camp teachers were different teachers (college students). I feel that I am at fault for the situation as I didn't take the initiative to observe the classes last year.
* Last week they held an open house to meet the teachers and see the classroom. This is what I noticed at the open house:
1. My first impression was the teachers names. Students call them Miss (insert first name here). I will not say the names, but two of his main teachers have very, well unique names.
2. I speak with the director first, who is very nice. I learn that she has a degree in psychology but the other teachers (who will be mostly in his classroom) do not have degrees, and are not certified teachers. OK...
3. While looking around the building, I notice the lesson plans posted outside the other teachers classroom. All teachers post lesson plans for parents to read. They are handwritten and I see the word 'schol'. Hmmm...
*Logan began school this week. I decided to observe the classroom today as I was able to find someone to watch Chelsea for me.
* School starts at 9:00am. The two main teachers were in class today, let's call them teacher A and teacher B. Teacher A begins with a quick circle time at 9:10 (approximately, I wasn't watching the clock at this point.)
* Children have free play time in the room at 9:15.
* Teacher A calls the office upstairs on classroom phone to confirm plans regarding another child at dismissal. I am standing very close to her and hear her say, "yes, she's observing." (obviously talking about me). Then I hear in a sarcastic voice, "I know, why wouldn't you wait until at least after the first couple of weeks." (again, obviously referring to me observing so early in the school year.) (HELLO?!!! I'M NOT STUPID, AND YES I CAN HEAR YOU TALKING ABOUT ME!)
* Playtime continues...I watch...I notice teacher A talks to the kids as if she does have experience w/ children, but she doesn't smile much nor does she talk to children in a friendly 'motherease' type voice.
* Teacher B has very good interaction with children, they really like her, she does use language of a very young person (for example she would call the kids 'slick'). This didn't bother me though, her tone was very appropriate for 4 year olds and they obviously connected with her.
* I watch as a boy points to a map and asks teacher B where we live. She directs his finger to the United States (which is purple). Then he points to Alaska, which is purple also. He asks her what's this? She answered, "I don't know, but it's part of the United States." ....Uhhh, okay.
* Playtime continues...I watch some more...I noticed the class bully take some toys from some kids (including Logan a couple of times.) Every class has one right?
* More playtime.
* Teacher B steps out for a couple of minutes.
* More playtime.
* Finally, at 10:15, the kids clean up, then sit in the circle and wash hands for snack, 3 kids at a time. Children sing songs while others wash hands. Then they sit at their tables and have snack. One child brought fruit snacks, and when a kid would finish his snack and ask for more, they gave him another package of fruit snacks. I believe some kids even had 3 packages of fruit snacks.
* Teacher A steps out for a few minutes during snack time.
* Finally at 10:40 the kids are still eating snack and I decide to leave and come back at the end of school. I was trying to observe the class, and in one hour and forty minutes I saw virtually nothing. I checked their schedule outside the room and they didn't follow it at all. They were supposed to play from 9:10-9:30, and then have a book, and then have snack at 9:50. They also didn't do a single thing on the "lesson plan" posted outside the room while I was there. I am trying to take into account that it is still the first week of school and this is only their 3rd day, but I would think that by day 3 they would be trying to establish a routine.
**During lunch today Logan said to me, "I don't like my teachers." I asked him why he would say something like that. He said, "because they smoke." WHAT?!!! I'm completely floored and can't figure out why he knows this. He said they stink like smoke, their hands and their breathe. Ewwww! I asked if he ever saw them smoking, and at first he said yes, (but I thought surely not,) so later he admitted he hadn't actually seen them smoke.
After I left his school this morning I did go and check out another preschool in our area. It's a private christian school and in order to attend you have to complete an interview. I'm sure we could get into the school (at least I hope we would be able to). The teacher has a degree in elementary ed, (same as me) and she told me a little bit about her curriculum. It's christian based and she seems to do a lot of things teaching early literacy skills. She did talk about doing a lot of individualized teaching as a lot of the kids are in different places. This school would also be a little more expensive, but very similar to what we paid last year. I'm afraid to pull him from this school too soon though, maybe I haven't given it a chance yet. On the other hand the sooner the better right? Or maybe I shouldn't worry and just leave him there b/c I know he'll learn no matter where he is, he's a smart kid. My last concern is Chelsea. I would love for her to go to a preschool like the christian school in 2 years, but I know the chances of them accepting her would be slim to none, unless we developed a relationship with the school now by sending Logan. My hopes would be they would know our family well and know that I work with my kids outside of school and Chelsea would receive a lot of help at home. These may be the wrong reasons to switch schools though.
Please post your comments on my blog. I'm having a very hard time with this decision mostly because I want to do what's right in the long run. Is this something I need to do now to set Chelsea up for success in the future?
Hello world!
3 years ago
22 comments:
I am completely not comfortable with your description of the school Logan is currently at. I'm not saying it should be military school or anything like that but there should be some structure and some teaching-learning interaction going on. It sounds like a really poorly run daycare. Sounds like a free for all. I feel it shouldn't have totally rigid structure but rather structure..so that the children know what to expect every day. I observed my Tim in preschool one time, he thought I had left, he just knew to put his things in his cubby and quietly walk over to the reading circle and quietly look at books with friends until circle time started. At circle time they sang songs, filled in the date on the calendar, had their star of the week person choose a book for the teacher to read. Then they break off into groups, some work on art, some work on science and then it rotates after 15 mins, then there's snack and free play outside. I could go on..the point is they know what to expect and they learn the concept of routines and structure as well as rules, consequences and how to be part of a group.
I'm not comfortable with what you described and if it were me..it wouldn't be happening. Just my 2 cents.
Carey, if it were me i would pull him out.... logan is already picking up on negatives and to me if that has started it may not be a very successful school year. It sounds like they are trying to hide things from you??
Logan is a smart kid so to me I would want to place him were he is going to learn the most, not just have playtime all day!
Also, I believe, the Christian school cannot NOT take Chelsea.
I would check into that!!
hope that helps!
keep me updated!
I would sooooo pull him out! If they can't respect you while your standing right there and do there best job with you standing right there, then what are they doing when you aren't there! If you can afford the extra cost of the christian school, I'd do that!
Carey -
Vote 4 for pulling him out. No structure, he doesn't like his teachers, they didn't treat you respectfully ... to me the lesson plan on the door is a lie to the parents. You don't skip the routines the first week of school - you establish them.
Good luck -
Tamara
My thoughts Carey, for what it's worth, is to pull him from that school. If things are no good at the beginning of school when people are supposed to be fresh, and excited...then it's not going to get any better. The fact that the "teachers" have no teaching degree (like ECE) is completely disheartening and raises a ton of red flags for me!! It doesn't matter if the director has some kind of degree, she's not dealing directly with the kids on a daily basis.
The whole situation doesn't sound right to me at all! Add to the fact that your son said he didn't like the teachers, THAT is a big problem. School should be a fun and positive experience for him, especially at age 4! I would hate for this to be a negative experience for him and have that "shape" his feelings about school in the future. KWIM??
When my oldest went to pre-school (he was 3), they learned a ton of things. By the end of September he knew the days of the week, the months of the year, a ton of new songs and lots of other stuff. He was actually LEARNING things! Here, when they are 4 they are in JR.Kindergarten (regular school system) and he learned to read. He is now 5 and starting Kindergarten this year and I'm amazed at how much they learn so young. I would hate for Logan to be missing out on so much because of this school. But this is all JMHO.
Email me if you like and I can go more into stuff with you.
Lacia & Kaia
I also wanted to add that I would think it would be illegal or something for there to be teachers at a school that aren't certified. But I don't know how things work in the U.S.
I would see about getting him into that other preschool. We've been so lucky with Garrett's preschool. Very structured and (it's a reversed-maintreamed class) all of his teachers are certified and he has one main and then there are always at least 4 others in the room with her at a time. And every day she will send home a "what we did today" paper. And once a month we get a calendar with the daily topics on it. And she has the daily schedule posted on the board in the room. And they stick to it. G's preschool is in a grammar school, so he gets to go to gym class, the library, music class and eat in the cafeteria this year and gets to participate in school assemblies and holiday shows. And he gets bused to and from in a bus with carseats provided by the town. And this year, his teacher requested he come for an hour before school (he's afternoons this time) so she can let him have lunch in the cafeteria and have extra time for ST. Anyway, there are "peer playmates" (the typical students) in G's class and they get just as much attention as the children with special needs. And their parents are just as happy with the program as we are. I am sooo comfortable with his teachers, and it sounds like you're not at all comfortable with Logan's and that is so important. They sound like they feel they're just babysitters, not teachers.
I think Nick went to the same pre-school. LOL!! His teacher was not certified either, but he was in a private school and I don't know the requirements. They spent most of the day watching movies!
If you are ot comfortable with him there, take him out. It does not sound like he is too crazy about it either! Your resons for leaving are legit. Follow your mom instincts...they know best!
I think you should trust your mommy instinct. I would be very uncomfortable about what you saw. The fact that they smoke would drive me crazy too. I think if you would feel better about the other preschool then go for it. Good luck!
I would pull him out too, like Erin just said, trust your motherly instinct! You will go insane if you leave him in that school and worry constantly about him.
I know the teachers at Brady's private preschool do not all have teaching certificates, but the ones I've had are better than the special ed teachers we've had who have bachelors and masters (or are working on their masters). I think it depends on the teachers experience with children that I would care most about at the age of 4. Heck, I'm going to be teaching Brady kindergarten this year, and I don't have a degree in education, only in psychology, but I care a lot about him, and what he learns, and I can learn and implement a curriculum based on his needs, his strengths, etc...
I have had good and bad preschool experiences, and I have pulled both Brady and another son from preschool classes and put them in different ones. Is there a different class at the community school that you can put Logan in? And - I did want to say, just because there is a waiting list, doesn't always mean a school is good, it could just mean it is convenient or less expensive than other options.
If you are serious about the Christian school, and wanting that environment for Chelsea, I would go observe there and then set up the interview.
You have to do what is best for your child. And, I think as a mommy, you know what that is!!!
Hope everything goes well! Keep us updated!!!
Go with your gut and pull him! The other preschool sounds much better and you are correct that the 3rd day in should be structure and routine building. And I can't believe they were criticizing you observing, you should be able to go there every day if you want.
I don't think developing a relationship with a school to help Chels get in is a wrong reason at all, makes perfect sense and the school will appreciate it as well.
I had a similar experience with Mackenzie's first school, and I left her in it, i regretted it everyday that year when I'd drop her off.
Good luck!
From reading your post, and re-reading your post, it seems like you don't really need us to give you a 'what would you do?' so much as to confirm what you are thinking of doing. The biggest thing here is Logan's comment "I don't like my teachers", especially after what observed for the time you were there. This preschool sounds less like a preschool and more like a babysitting service. Some kids had 3 bags of fruit snacks???
Even if you take Chelsea's future preschool needs out of the equation, the current preschool does not seem to meet what you are looking for as far as Logan is concerned. And even though Logan can learn no matter where he is, wouldn't you like to at least know *what* he'll be learning (like school has 2 o's? lol). Teaching early literacy skills now gives a child the opportunity for a great future.
Finally, ask yourself these two questions: 1) If you make the move to get Logan into the Christian based preschool and he ends up going there, would you regret leaving the other 'pre-school' behind? 2) If you leave him where he is, do you think that at some point in the next year, you'll regret not pursuing the other pre-school?
Hugs!
I think you should pull Logan out and go for the Christian School. They are sponges at this age age I would want my child around the best role models. I don't think you are selfish at all thinking about Chelsea and her future. Build a relationship with the Christian school and do whatever it takes to get Chelsea the bests! Go For It!! Good Luck!!
Go with your instinct....I would take him out of the school..sounds like it is a lot of wasted time. You have already checked somewhere else so I believe taking him out is the right choice. Sounds like this school is like a babysitting service and not teaching. I know when Aviva was in preschool the teacher had the degree and the aide did not or most were in school working on one.
And not being able to spell as a teacher really irritates me.
I wish you the best with your decision.
Okay jumping on the band wagon here....I say go with the other school. All it would take for me would be the "I don't like my teachers" comment and my kids would be out of there in a heartbeat.
I think that when ever you have reservations about your children's education and it eats at you like this seems to be doing, well that means it is not the right place for your child.
The talking about you like you weren't there? Well I would have gone over and told her that next time she decides to talk about a parent make sure that they are not sitting right next to her.
Honestly. Some people. Let me know what you decide, and I hope it all works out well. At Logan's age they are really in tune with people and if they don't like someone it is usually really genuine.
Hi Carey - I'd trust my instinct and take him out and put him in the christian school. I'd be afraid that if he continues to go to a school and/or has teachers he doesn't like, that will make him have a negative attitude about school. Kids this age are like sponges and I don't think what he is soaking up (so to speak!) is anything positive while he's there. Good luck!
I am with the others and say pull him out. If it is the begining of the school year then it should be stuctured. It seems like they are not doing anything . I am with the others.
Carey - I agree with the message of the other comments. I don't think it's bad pulling him out - at the same time, do you think you have given it enough time? Has it been a few days or weeks? I know we had a hard time adjusting to Nate's daycare a few years ago when we moved and had to change centers. We ended up keeping him in and it was the best situation. He is starting their preschool program and Matthew goes to the same center. In Logan's situation, there are certainly red flags that would make me uneasy. I would probably check out the Christian center and tranisition him if a space is open. You will make the best decision for him.
Hugs to you my friend!
I would say pull him. Jolynn always says to follow your gut. Both her and her husband are teachers and quite honestly, I think it is good advice. Follow your gut. Move him out of that school and get him into another one. Pronto!
In my state, it is legal for preschools to have ONE certified "head teacher" and the rest can be uncertified. Considering the ridiculously low salaries paid to preschool teachers, it is difficult to find qualified candidates.
In a world where people can make more money working in a fast food restaurant than teaching children, it is not surprising you encountered what you did.
I'm not sure where you were going with the comment about the teachers' names. Is this a racist comment? A class comment? What?
As for smoking, imagine you're a young. poorly educated girl named, oh, I don't know, let's say Misti. Let's say you have to keep 12 screaming, crying two-year-olds from injuring themselves or each other. Some of your young charges wear diapers. Some have "accidents" that require changes of clothing on a daily basis. Everything smells like pee. Or poop. Some of the little angels would prefer to be home and they tell you so, loudly and repeatedly. Sometimes you get kicked. Or bitten. You have to do this eight hours a day, five days a week for $8 an hour and no benefits. Believe me, honey, you'd smoke, too!
To anonymous...
times of changed. Many and most schools you are not allowed to even smoke on the premises. And if a person feels the need to smoke because of their job, well then its time to make a career change. There are plenty of other jobs out there for $8 a hour.
Post a Comment