Thursday, Chelsea managed to scare me more than I've ever been scared in my entire life! I had just finished teaching my Jazzercise class and was talking to some customers while Chelsea played on her blanket in the daycare room. Logan of course was running around playing all over the place. I was just outside the daycare room and Logan ran up to me and and said (rather casually I might add) "Chelsea is throwing up". I walked into the room expecting her to have a drop of spit up on her lip (Logan tends to exaggerate). What I found sent me into a panic. She was throwing up, or gagging. She was bright red, laying there on her tummy on the blanket. I picked her up and she continued to gag and cough, then she would choke as if she couldn't breathe. Her color remained red, and she couldn't cough up whatever was choking her. I immediately yelled at Logan to get me help. I told him to go get someone. He came back "noone will come". I yelled, "Go get help!" Then I decided to scream for help myself. Finally the ladies just outside the hall heard me screaming and ran into the room. I told them to call 911. She just wasn't breathing. It was awful. I just saw her slipping away. I truly didn't know if she was going to stop breathing right there in my arms. After a minute or so, she stopped just breifly and caught her breathe, and just as I took a sigh of relief she started choking again. I kept asking the ladies, "Are they coming, are they coming?" It was the longest 5 mintues of my life. I cold just imagine her not breathing, ...and without oxygen getting to her brain... well I was picturing the worst. Fortuneately right before the firefighters arrived, she started crying. I've never been so happy to hear my baby cry! She was finally breathing again. When they arrived all they saw was a baby crying. Her color was still very red, and it was obvious something had happened. Once I settled her down, she sat on my lap watching the men in a daze. She was in another world. After a minute or two she slipped out of the fog and began to act like Chelsea again. She was grabbing their fingers, reaching for the oxygen mask as they tried to put it on to give her some air. YES, she was fine. I'm afraid they emergency workers thought I was a crazy overeacting mother, but that's okay, call me crazy, I'm not taking any chances when it comes to my kids! Of course we weren't sure exactly what happened. Her oxygen sat's were good, 95%. We did get in to see the Dr. that afternoon, and he confirmed our suspicions, she seemed to have just choked on mucus and drainage from her cold. He thought she probably inhaled it into her airway, and she just couldn't get it cleared out. Of course any crying she does only makes her nose run even more, so it was just really difficult for her to get through it. He said if she choked on something she found on the floor we would be able to tell by the way she was breathing, and so far this weekend she has been acting just fine. So once again I thank God for my sweet little baby. I just can't imagine losing her. We have a connection I never though possible between a mother and daughter. I don't think I could survive without her. I've never had to call an ambulance for my kids, and I hope I will never need to again.
Chelsea is wearing a Halloween hair band Grandma Carolyn gave her. I think she needs a little more hair for this rubber band though!
Hello world!
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment